For secondary phase admissions queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
|Year 7 Planned Admissions – September 2023|
Application period starts
1st September 2022
Closing date for applications
31st October 2022
Outcome of applications
1st March 2023
Deadline for accepting applications
15th March 2023
Induction day at Secondary School
5th July 2023
Applications for children currently in Year 6, who are due to start secondary school in September 2023 can be made between 1st September 2022 - 31st October 2022.
To book a place at one of our open events please go to ‘up and coming events’ section on our website.
To apply for a place in Year 7 September 2023 you must contact your local authority and either apply via their eAdmissions portal or submit a ‘common application form’ (available from your local authority) directly to them.
If you miss the deadline for applying – please contact your local authority to make a late application.
Supplementary Form (SIF)
If you are applying for a foundation place at our school, you will need to complete a Supplementary Information Form (SIF). This form must be stamped and signed by your priest /minister to confirm your church commitment. Only churches noted on our admissions policy will be accepted under the foundation over subscription criteria. Please refer to our Admissions Policy.
*please note that a supplementary form only needs to be submitted if you are applying for a foundation (church) place. If you are applying for a community place, you do not need to submit this form.
Medical/Social Reasons for Preferences
In most cases, medical or social needs can be met in any mainstream school. However, if you feel that there is an acute medical or social reason why your child should be offered St Mary Magdalene in particular, you need to state this in your application. Moderate learning difficulties, such as delayed speech and language or dyslexia, are not considered acute medical or social needs.
Our Governors' Admissions Committee will consider any social/medical requests for a place at St Mary Magdalene only where substantiating evidence is provided from a medical professional. An outline of what is required is given below (please refer to our admissions policy for full details).
- You must give evidence of the medical or social need, such as a professional medical diagnosis or a statement.
- You must give reasons why your child should attend St Mary Magdalene in particular, stating the consequences if they have to attend an alternative school.
- You must provide documentation from the relevant professional, such as a health or social care professional, which supports your application to St Mary Magdalene on the grounds of medical or social need.
Please note that childcare arrangements do not fall under the category of an acute medical or social need.
Getting help with your application
Royal Greenwich holds school admission information sessions to help parents and carers with applying for a school place. The Families Information Service offers support to parents and carers who may need support with the school admissions process. The service is available to everyone and provides:
- A wide range of information on local secondary schools
- Support in making informed and realistic preferences
- Help in completing the relevant forms
- Information about the appeals process
If you have questions about which schools will best meet your child's academic and developmental needs, or you require support in making your application, please contact the Royal Borough of Greenwich's Families Information Service.
Year 7 Admissions - September 2022
If you are looking for a place for your child in the current year 7 for September 2022, you application will be treated as an in-year application. Please note that we have a full year group. If you apply for a place using our In-year application form your will, be placed onto our waiting list and will be administered in accordance with our Admissions Policy.
To request an In-year transfer, you must complete a copy of the in-year admissions form (below) and email it to Admissions Team: email@example.com
CLICK HERE to download an In Year Admissions Request Form
The In-year admissions process works as follows: -
- Parent/Carer submits in year admissions request form to St Mary Magdalene secondary admissions.
- The school’s admin team will process your application within 15 school days and notify you of the outcome.
- Each application is ranked (if there are more applications than places available) using our oversubscription criteria (as set out in our admissions policy)
- If the required year group is full, the student will be placed on a waiting list and a place will be offered when it becomes available
- Your child’s current/most recent school will be contacted to complete a school report form – please ensure you notify your child’ current school that you are looking to move them.
- Admissions request form and information from current/most recent school is submitted to our Governors' Admissions Committee for approval.
- Once approved, if a place is available in the required year group Admissions will contact parent/carer to offer a place.
- Your child will be required to complete some baseline tests in Maths, English and Science prior to their admission
- Parents will need to re-apply each academic year if they wish their child’s name to remain on the school’s waiting list with a new updated supplementary information form (SIF).
Waiting List Information:
- Our Federation operates a waiting list, which is ordered in accordance with the oversubscription criteria. The waiting list is held until the end of each academic year in which the child starts. Parents may request in writing to join the waiting list. If an application is received and a child is added to the waiting list, the list will be re-ranked in accordance with the oversubscription criteria. Parents will need to re-apply each academic year if they wish their child’s name to remain on the school’s waiting list with a new updated supplementary information form (SIF).
St Mary Magdalene Secondary Admissions Policy 2022-23
St Mary Magdalene Secondary Admissions Policy 2023-2024
Appeals are in accordance with the School Standards and Framework Act 1998 and parents who are not offered a place for their child have the right to appeal to an independent appeal panel. Parents wishing to appeal should obtain an appeal form from the school. The form should be sent to reach the Clerk to the Appeal panel, c/o the School, within 20 school days of the date of the letter confirming the governors’ decision not to offer a place. Should an appeal be unsuccessful, the Governing Body will not consider a further application from those parents within the same academic year unless there have been significant and material changes in their circumstances.