Year 7 Admissions - September 2019
The deadline for applications has now passed (31st October 2018). If you have missed the closing date, you will need to apply for an in year admission to Year 7 (please see below).
Waiting Lists - Year 7 Admissions - September 2019
If you have already added your child's name to our waiting list for a Year 7 place and would like to check their progress, please email email@example.com or call 020 3873 5555 and choose 'Admissions' from the recorded message.
Year 7 Admissions - September 2020
If your child is due to transfer from primary to secondary school in September 2020, you can apply from 1st September 2019. The deadline for applications is 31st October 2019.
Our open events are as follows:
- OPEN EVENING - 26th September 2019, 4.30-6.30pm - no appointment necessary. Tours will be given by students and leadership talks will be held in the school hall.
- OPEN MORNING - 1st October 2019, 9am-12pm - strictly by appointment only - please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment for 9.40am or 11am. Tours will be given by members of the Leadership Team.
- OPEN EVENING - 15th October 2019, 4.30-6.30pm - no appointment necessary. Tours will be given by students and leadership talks will be held in the school hall.
- OPEN MORNING - 17th October 2019, 9am-12pm - strictly by appointment only - please email email@example.com to make an appointment for 9.40am or 11am. Tours will be given by members of the Leadership Team.
If you live in the Royal Borough of Greenwich, you will need to apply through the Royal Borough of Greenwich. If you live in another borough, you need to apply through your home authority, even if you wish to apply for a place in a Royal Greenwich School.
If you have an older child or children already attending St Mary Magdalene, you must make this clear on your application form to be considered under the sibling criteria.
The easiest way to apply is through the eAdmissions portal - it's quick, easy and secure and it's the fastest way to hear the results. To view guidance on how to make an online application, please click here to visit the eAdmissions website. If you would prefer to complete a paper form and you live in Royal Greenwich, you must use the Royal Borough of Greenwich's common application form. You should contact the Greenwich Centre to get a copy of the form. If you need help completing your form, RBG run sessions where members of their team will help you to complete your application - please visit or contact the Greenwich Centre for details.
Medical/Social Reasons for Preferences
In most cases, medical or social needs can be met in any mainstream school. However, if you feel that there is an acute medical or social reason why your child should be offered St Mary Magdalene in particular, you need to state this in your application. Moderate learning difficulties, such as delayed speech and language or dyslexia, are not considered acute medical or social needs.
Our Governors' Admissions Committee will consider any social/medical requests for a place at St Mary Magdalene only where substantiating evidence is provided. An outline of what is required is given below (please refer to our admissions policy for full details).
- You must give evidence of the medical or social need, such as a professional medical diagnosis or a statement.
- You must give reasons why your child should attend St Mary Magdalene in particular, stating the consequences if they have to attend an alternative school.
- You must provide documentation from the relevant professional, such as a health or social care professional, which supports your application to St Mary Magdalene on the grounds of medical or social need.
Please note that childcare arrangements do not fall under the category of an acute medical or social need.
Getting help with your application
Royal Greenwich holds school admission information sessions to help parents and carers with applying for a school place. The Families Information Service offers support to parents and carers who may need support with the school admissions process. The service is available to everyone and provides:
- a wide range of information on local secondary schools
- support in making informed and realistic preferences
- help in completing the relevant forms
- information about the appeals process
If you have questions about which schools will best meet your child's academic and developmental needs, or you require support in making your application, please contact the Royal Borough of Greenwich's Families Information Service.
In Year Admissions - Years 7, 8, 9 & 10
To request an in year transfer, you must complete a copy of the in-year admissions form (below) and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
The in year admissions process works as follows:-
- Parent/Carer submits in year admissions request form to St Mary Magdalene.
- Admissions department contacts student's current/most recent school to obtain information on attendance, attainment and behaviour.
- Admissions request form and information from current/most recent school is submitted to our Governors' Admissions Committee for approval.
- Once approved, if a place is available in the required year group, Admissions will contact parent/carer to offer a place. If the required year group is full, student will be placed on a waiting list and a place will be offered when it becomes available.
Supplementary Information Form - please note that a supplementary form only needs to be submitted if you are applying for a foundation (church) place. If you are applying for a community place, you do not need to submit this form.